Saturday, April 19, 2008

Like Playin' In the Driveway

My favorite play from last night's game (key point--I was listening to this on FAN while in the car):
Wright on 3rd, Beltran on 2nd, Pagan at the plate.
Drive to the outfield that drops in for a double. Wright scores as Pagan rolls in with a double, Beltran is standing on 3rd...what? Wait a minute...
I turn to Mrs. DC and say "What the hell? Are they playing whiffle ball? Do you have to force in all runners?"
Once she stopped laughing it was stated that I would have to relate this anecdote to those who would appreciate it (thus this post).
In hindsight, I do understand that it was questionable if the ball was going to be caught and Beltran was being properly cautious. Additionally, Howie said that Chase Utley was the most surprised person in the park to see Pagan standing behind him--great hustle, Angel--so the play was a paradigm of good baserunning (both cautious and aggressive).

1 comment:

SheaHeyKid said...

That is pretty classic.. Nice hustle by Pagan. I'm surprised at how well Pagan and Church continue to play. I'm disappointed that Willie is already saying he wants Luis back in #2 spot:

Second baseman Luis Castillo was in the No. 8 spot in the order for the fourth game in a row, but Randolph said it will not be permanent.

"I like the way it looks and I like the flow [with Castillo batting eighth], but Luis is still my No. 2 hitter," Randolph said before Castillo went 0-for-4 to drop his season average to .222.


I don't think sticking a .222 average between Reyes and Wright helps us, even if it means we strengthen the back end of the lineup.

What a gem by Johan yesterday. That was huge to beat their ace and set the tone for the series right out of the gate. 10 Ks, 0 BBs, and only 4 hits.