Thursday, April 17, 2008

Jose Jose Jose

Apparently the old Jose is back (literally). Prompted by Beltran to drop his stoic act and return to his true personality, Jose said he's back:

Reyes should now be more fun-loving. Asked if the celebratory handshakes would be back, Reyes replied, "Everything is back."

Of course when he claimed he would drop all that at the start of the season, it was obvious that couldn't possibly last. I figured it would hold until at least the end of April, but I guess not. On possibly offending other teams with their behavior Beltran said: "We don't care if these other teams get offended. We're going to play the game like that." My take on the Reyes celebrations is that they are done in the dugout, so it's not like they're showing up the other team. I have a problem with on-field celebrations, and particularly a problem with the way Manny Ramirez pulls up a lawn chair at home plate to sit back and watch the entire blast every time he hits a HR. That's poor sportsmanship, IMO, and someone should drill him for it. But since Jose does his thing in the dugout, I think it's fine.

2 comments:

dark commenteer said...

I agree. And it goes back to the team identity issue I mentioned the other day. This team needs a spark and dare I say, a little fun.

Professionalism is nice to see but it can be accomplished with some energy and enthusiasm. I feel that in the 2nd half of last season as the race tighened up, the team tried to act "more professional" and it drained the energy from the clubhouse.

There are a lot of young guys on the roster--let them have some fun. After all, they are playing a game...as long as they're not a bunch of arrogant douches in the process.

Fredo said...

Well, I think the key thing is what SHK said: that it's done in the dugout.

Of course the problem we had last year, as was discussed ad nauseum by the SNY team (and particularly in the penultimate game against the Fish) was that the celebrating and grandstanding wasn't being done in the dugout, but on the field.

Do whatever you want in the dugout. Sure, I'll still think Jose's antics are lame-o, but if he hits .100 pts better, feel free.