Saturday, May 31, 2008

Pedro to start Tues., big decisions on tap

Who gets bumped from the rotation, Pelfrey or Vargas? It may well depend on Pelf's start today. You know the organization wants to give Pelf every chance.

Does Vargas or Pelf, whichever gets bumped, go to the pen? If so, which reliever gets displaced? Lot's of talk on the FAN this morning about sending Heilman down to "work out" his issues and restore some confidence. Muniz is low man on the totem poll, but has been effective through his short time in the bigs so far.

My preferred solution would be to shift Vargas to the pen as a long man and spot starter for DH'ers or whatever, and drop Heilman to AAA. Aaron's trade value is already in the tank anyway, and he needs some major retooling if he's ever going to get it together.

3 comments:

dark commenteer said...

I concur, Fredo.

Hopefully we see the same kind of AAA resurrection that Trachsel underwent a few years back.

As far as the rotation goes, it all depends on what role we foresee for Pelf--is he going to be a fixture in the rotation at some point or does his destiny lie in the pen? I'm not sure that he will ever develop the endurance to control his pitches for more than a few innings. But he has great stuff, usually in early bursts so I do see potential as Wags' eventual replacement.

So I say move Pelf to the pen now and let him get used to pitching in short bursts a few times a week. Who knows, this may even help build his stamina for starting...

Fredo said...

I'd rather not pull the plug on Pelf so early in his starting career, but I wouldn't be crushed either, 'cause I think he's got good potential in the pen.

That said, what about this year? You content w/ Vargas as your #5 or are you hoping for El Duque to make it back?

SheaHeyKid said...

I don't think it makes a huge difference between Pelf and Vargas as to your #5. Their career numbers are both bad. I might pick Pelf just because he at least has flashes of goodness.

The only downside to keeping Pelf as #5 is that you're then not using him as a reliever, which I think he could be very good at. Also, we could use the help in the pen with Heilman chewing.

El Duque has little chance of doing anything for us this year. I don't expect him to throw even one pitch for us. If he does and he's good, all the better, but I'm not holding my breath. Same for Pedro, I really don't know what to expect out of him. I'm guessing he won't have #1 stuff, and may not even have #2 stuff.