Friday, May 30, 2008

Delgado

Delgado's thoughts on possibly being platooned:

Willie Randolph can expect a visit from Carlos Delgado if Randolph decides to use the struggling first baseman in a platoon against right-handers.

Delgado, who started tonight against the Dodgers after being benched against lefties the final two games of the Florida series, made it obvious he would be unhappy if a platoon develops.

"We’re gonna have to talk," Delgado said when asked what would happen if Randolph platooned him. "Obviously, I would not talk to you [reporters] before I talk to him. I haven’t said anything, but I want to make it clear. I don’t want to sound like I’m challenging anybody, but it’s true, I would have to talk to him about that."


Look, I appreciate a player who is hungry enough to fight for his job, that's great. But this particular quote tells me a few things. First, it tells me that Willie has failed to establish himself as the leader. You wouldn't give that kind of quote unless you felt you were in a position of relatively good power compared to your boss. Willie needs to make it clear that HE is running the team, not the players. Next, it also says something about Delgado's personality. How about instead something along the lines of: "While I always want to play, I also want to do whatever is best for the team. If Willie deems that this is the best move for the team at this time, then I respect that but of course I'm going to play hard to try to win my position back."

2 comments:

Fredo said...

"We’re gonna have to talk"

While I don't have fond memories of the Dallas Green era, I do wonder how that talk would've gone with big D.

Fredo said...

Don't know if you caught this line in the Post article from Willie:

"I like it when he [Delgado] gets the uniform dirty," Randolph said. "His uniform has been pretty clean for a while."