Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Why MLB is also a steaming pile of dung

Earlier this year I happened to notice that MLB has granted TBS exclusive rights to cover a portion of the playoffs for the next 10 years or so. In particular, this year they will cover all LDS games and NLCS, while Fox covers everything else. I didn't really give this much thought, until I just realized the ridiculousness of this situation: MLB is going to let a station that is already affiliated directly with a team, the Braves, cover national playoffs. Worse yet, TBS is using its same crew to call the games! It's bad enough I have to listen to those morons call Mets-Braves games during the regular season as an out-of-market viewer. But to now have to suffer through listening to them in the playoffs is intolerable. If the Braves are in we'll have to hear biased coverage about how great they are, and if they're out we'll have to hear about how they're so much better than whoever is in, and it should've been the Braves.

At least MLB should have insisted that a national, non-affiliated crew call the games.

3 comments:

Fredo said...

I may be mistaken, but I think TBS is giving up its affiliation with the Braves at the end of this year. I heard the announcers talking about the "end of an era" the other day when I flipped past Los Bravos.

Fredo said...

From Wikipedia:

Braves TBS Baseball or Braves Baseball on TBS is a Major League Baseball broadcast on the TBS (Turner Broadcasting System) cable network by Turner Sports, featuring Atlanta Braves regular season games. The program made its debut in 1972 ended national broadcasts in 2007.

TBS is currently phasing out its national coverage of Braves baseball after striking a contract to broadcast other regular season and playoff Major League Baseball games. Many Braves games will in the future only be broadcast regionally on SportSouth, FSN South, and Peachtree TV.

SheaHeyKid said...

That might explain why only half or fewer of the Mets-Braves games were actually broadcast on TBS this year.. I was surprised at how few I got, last year I saw almost all of them.