Thursday, September 06, 2007

Article on mets

Article on mets in SI here. Basically questions whether they really are best team in NL; touches on most of the issues mentioned on this blog.

I think three changes would improve mets.

1. Bullpen. First, I will continue to state that I think we are paying the price for not re-signing Bradford and Oliver, two guys we could critically use this year since their replacements have come up flat. Beyond that, I think Willie has caused some issues by not being totally consistent in who he uses for what role. Given that the Mets are in the mode of starters should only last 6 innings, they need to put some serious focus on beefing up their bullpen in offseason.

2. Stability in lineup, and stop placing so much blind faith on veterans. Willie's constant shuffling of lineup causes reduced production from the players, in my opinion, although I don't have any stats to back this up. They are doing too much (random) platooning at too many positions, and as a result I don't think it allows those players to get into a comfortable batting rhythm.

3. Hitting approach. Discussed this ad nauseum before so I won't beat it to death here, but I think they need to have certain players focus more on being contact hitters and less on power. They have too many rally-killers due to poor plate approach.

No comments: