Saturday, May 26, 2007

Pedro

Pedro talking some serious smack here about how good he thinks he'll be when he returns, saying he'll be even better than Clemens. I just hope he can back it up - this pitching staff desperately needs a consistent ace. Great stuff from Duque tonight and I believe that as long as he's healthy we will get consistently solid outings from him; however, I would put money he's injured again this season. IF Pedro is at full strength, a playoff rotation of Pedro - Glavine - El Duque and Maine or Perez could be good enough. BUT that assumes a lot: Pedro returns solid; Glavine/El Duque stay healthy; and Maine and Perez retain control of their pitches.

I still think trading for a legit starter is a good idea. Keep in mind Glavine and Duque don't have many more seasons, and Pedro only has two more. Getting a legit starter now would allow us to add that to whoever of Maine / Perez / Sosa / Pelfrey / Humber turn out to be real deal.

As for Beltran, his lack of hustle definitely rides me, especially because he has the talent. Not many CFs have the talent that he does, but I'd say most of them out-hustle him. I'm still waiting to see Beltran's first all-out, diving catch. He is either unwilling or incapable of going full speed, and then laying out for it.

I agree with Fredo earlier comment about D. Wright, and I think it applies to Delgado as well. Forget about power for now - it will naturally come, just focus on getting hits. We need .300+ BA in 4-5 slots, with RISP.

1 comment:

Fredo said...

You've missed 2 baserunners taking advantage of Beltran the last two games: a double stretched to a triple, and a single stretched to a double. In both cases, the runners guessed that Beltran would glide over to the ball, and then with that I'm not new to the big leagues panache, long toss a lob back to the infield. Both runners guessed right.