Monday, September 25, 2006

Pick 4

I tried to post this earlier but blogspot screwed me. In any case...

If you were Willie, who would be your post-season starting four? I'd pick Glavine, Pedro, El Duque, and Trax.

I like Glavine #1, rather than Pedro, since Pedro is too emotional and doesn't pitch well on short rest. If we have to play a critical game 5, I'd rather have Glavine pitching.

Trax or Maine is a toss-up for me. I think Maine was my clear favorite but has given back the lead with last two starts. Also not sure what we'll get out of a rookie in playoffs. I think the Mets should've dumped Trax earlier this season, but at this point he's what we've got.

The only thing I don't like about the above 4 is the age: those are all old guys who probably won't pitch well on short rest if all of our series go long. That's one reason having Maine instead of Trax might be good.

1 comment:

Fredo said...

I think at this point that the competition's over and it's going to be the 4 veterans. I'm not worried about their age: with the travel days in the playoffs, the bullpen is sufficiently deep. The only situation where age comes into it is that 3 days rest situation, the Game 1-Game 4 and Game 2-Game 5 swing. If we're down 2-1 in the first round, expect to see Pedro out for game 4.

Oliver's been getting bounced around in September, so there's a chance Maine could be in there as a long guy instead of him, but I doubt it. Willie likes his veterans.

Here's who I see as the definites for the post season roster:

Pedro
Glavine
Duque
Trax

Oliver
Bradford
Feliciano
Mota
Heilman
Wagner

If the Mets elect to carry 11 pitchers, you'd have R. Hernandez and Maine competing for that last spot, IMHO.