Friday, October 13, 2006

O-ffense

Well, so much for my prediction (and Vegas over/under of 9) that offense would roll, they looked more like a car engine in Buffalo this morning. At least the pitching and defense were spectacular, and Beltran continues to be Card killer. Not to mention, we pitched Pujols with bases empty almost every time, I don't even think any of his contact left the infield? Gem from Mets.com: "Pujols now is hitless with four strikeouts in his last 10 postseason at-bats. But who's counting? He isn't a Yankees third baseman."

Somehow though the team has got to find a way to get hits when Reyes is having an off night. I understand why the guys behind him become that much better when he's on base, but I'm surprised that they don't seem to hit when he doesn't.

Also, as pointed out by both Fredo and myself, why in the world did the Mets start Floyd last night? There are very few decisions that Randolph and Minaya have made this season that left me scratching my head, but that's one of them. IF they thought he was healthy enough to be a threat at the plate I can understand adding him to the roster, and hopefully getting some starts or pinch hits from him later in this series. But why risk him in game 1 - a game you have to be able to win even without him in the lineup? Not to mention it was (literally) painfully evident that he wasn't even remotely healthy in the top of the 1st when he gingerly jogged down his first fly ball in left.

No comments: