Monday, October 02, 2006

Dodgers

So it's the Dodgers.

I find this article to be filled with some strange analysis. First, I wouldn't call the Dodgers "The matchup the Mets didn't want..." I'd say the Phillies and Astros are the only teams from NL that could have given us a good run. If we can't beat Dodgers, we shouldn't go to WS.

Next, of Paul Lo Duca he says: "Get Paul Lo Duca out...he's the one weak point in the top five spots in the Mets' lineup..." What??? Lo Duca has the best BA of any Mets starter. This guy is the toughest out. Weak in the power department, yes, but that's got nothing to do with getting him out.

Then, "The Dodgers bring the NL's other great offense to town..." The Dodgers have a good offense, but other "great" offense? How about the Phillies and Marlins, who have both scored more runs than Dodgers? When your offense is only 4th best in the weaker league and 10th overall, I'd be careful about throwing around words like "great".

2 comments:

SheaHeyKid said...

Place your bets:

a) Mets in 3
b) Mets in 4
c) Mets in 5
d) Dodgers in 3
e) Dodgers in 4 or 5

My gut says 'b'. The way we split 7 with them in regular season suggests 'c'. But thinking about it closely, I think a or e might be most likely, the reason being this will come down to Mets offense. If our bats are on, LA can't stop us and we sweep. If our bats are cold, I don't see us emerging. They have enough offense, and the edge in starting pitching, that they will win if we can't hit.

I think I'll go 'b'.

Fredo said...

OK, we win game 1, they win game 2. It's tough to go past that, b/c we don't know the pitching matchups, specifically whether we're throwing Trax or Maine in game 3. Anyway, I like our chances to win against Maddux, and we could either win this thing in 4 or 5. My guess is also in 4, which preserves Duque for game 1 in the LCS.