Saturday, June 13, 2009

State of the (Dis)union

Regardless of who wins the NL East this year, I guarantee they don't win by more than 2 games. You can bet this will be another tight finish among at least 2 teams with high-80s to 90 wins. Could it be the Mets? Sure, no question.

But I really don't care. For me, there's more than just making the playoffs. I want a team I can root for. A team I can believe in. A team that plays hard, plays smart, and you want to pull for.

That is not this team. Quite frankly, I'm sick of all the injuries. I'm sick of all the stupid, boneheaded baserunning and fielding plays that no other major league team seem to make so frequently. I'm sick of stupid tactical decisions by Manuel. I'm sick of ruining our minor league players by bringing them up way too early, and putting way too much pressure on them.

This team sucked the life out of me when they somehow failed to pull it out after "The Catch" in '06. The massive choke jobs of '07 and '08 are literally unfathomable. To go through it all again in '09 is just stupidity on my part.

Will the Mets make the playoffs? Maybe. But it surely will take a massive change of attitude and effort on this team to make me care.

No comments: