Monday, July 21, 2008

Jayson Stark calls the NL East

Here's his synopsis:

If I line up the Mets and Phillies, I'm hard-pressed to find an area in which I think the Mets are substantially better. The Phillies have outscored them, outpitched them and outfielded them. And you can look that up. I'd take the Phillies' lineup and bullpen over the Mets' lineup and 'pen. And while the Mets may have better starting pitching, the Blanton trade and those never-ending Pedro Martinez questions have narrowed that margin considerably. The Phillies haven't played well for a month now. But the Mets have enough age, health and chemistry issues that I'm still picking the Phillies to win the East.

7 comments:

Fredo said...

Lets look at the lineups:

1. 1B: Phils
2. 2B: Phils
3. SS: Mets (this season)
4. 3B: Mets
5. C: Push
6. LF: Phils
7. CF: Mets
8. RF: Push

Hardly a no-brainer. Howard, Utley and Burrell are a murderers row right now, but w/ Delgado swinging a hot stick, we have enough power to get by.

If Church comes back healthy I think we probably get the nod. But even without that, it's close.

SheaHeyKid said...

One is hard-pressed to argue with him. The big question will be: was the recent streak a real turn for the team, or was it simply the benefit of an inevitable run of good luck and playing two very poor teams at Shea?

The bottom line is it all depends on whether the new and improved Delgado, Pelfrey and Perez are here to stay or whether they fade away. Injuries to Pedro, Church and others don't help - we seem to have suffered from more significant injuries than almost any other team except maybe the Braves.

dark commenteer said...

Here's some deep insight--Stark can suck my nutsack!

How do ya like them apples?

Fredo said...

Guess I password protected the wrong blog...

dark commenteer said...

Sorry, I'm a bit cranky...

SheaHeyKid said...

One is also hard-pressed to argue with DC's take on the issue!

Beetz McDogg said...

I'd tend to agree with DC but I would of put it like this. "He can Kiss My Grits". I know a bit racy but you all know me. Vroom Vroom