Saturday, July 07, 2007

Pelf

Now, I'm certainly not going to blame last night's L on Pelfrey. When the Mets only give up 4 runs and score 0, I have to hang that on their pathetic offense. But, I have to say that Pelfrey's remarkable Trachsel-like consistency is very worrisome. If his #s were up and down that would be one thing - but they aren't. EVERY one of his outings is exactly the same: 3 or 4 runs yielded in 5-6 innings with 100 pitches. Both the high pitch count, and the fact that he consistently pulls a trax and gives up exactly that number of runs in that number of innings is odd at best, worrisome at worst. I know he's got a pretty nasty arsenal of pitches, particular the heater, but I haven't seen any progress in how he uses them as well as his confidence.

1 comment:

Fredo said...

Well, he's now 0-9 or 0-10 as a major leaguer, which isn't good, no matter how you slice it. At some point I'd like to see him post zeroes for 6 or 7 innings (even if slotted between poor outings), just to know he can. Doesn't make much sense though, when he's popping 94-96 on the gun with a lot of movement. He's just not really placing his pitches well.