Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Here's Your Answer, Fredo

Apparently Murphy gets pulled because Manuel has no confidence in him. Or many of the other players, for that matter. Call me crazy, but this doesn't seem like the type of public undermining that the players will respond to. Way to build up the confidence of your team, Jerry.

"I need to find (out) if he [Murphy] can be a first baseman," Manuel told host Mike Francesa. "I really don't know, I'll be honest with you."...

Manuel admitted the Mets may have to make a trade for a first baseman.

"I do know (Tatis) is an older player (34), he is not at the stage of his career where you can project (his performance)," Manuel said. "He's kind of in the evening of his career. Can people in the evening of their career play everyday? Some can, some can't."

2 comments:

SheaHeyKid said...

By the way, this weekend's series against the Sox will tell us a lot about this team. Will they try to come back and avenge the beatings they took at Fenway a few years ago? Or will they wilt and crumble?

It's our top 3 against their top 3, so let's see how it shakes out. I have to imagine Johan wins his game, especially since he got the rough start he was due out of his system last time.

Fredo said...

Manuel throws players under the bus like nobody's business. After Church missed 3rd the other night, Manuel wouldn't say his name in the post-game press conference, referring to him simply as "that player."

It's the most nonsensical treatment I've ever seen. Most managers try to keep stuff in house. Jerry seems more interested in blaming players and keeping himself out of the crosshairs.

And it rubs off on the team, BTW. Beltran, who was charged the game deciding error two nights ago, absolutely trashed Pagan and blamed Pagan for not clearing out of the way fast enough. Have you ever heard a player say something like this to a reporter in a post game presser:

"I called for the ball like six times, but Pagan stood in the middle and I couldn't put my glove on the ball. On a ball like that, I have priority. If Pagan would have called for that ball, my job is to get out of the way. He's been in center field before, so he knows that when the center fielder calls for the ball, everyone has to get out of the way."