Thursday, November 29, 2007

No-han

If this deal for Johan Santana goes through I am done watching baseball.

It is bad enough if he goes to the BlowSox, b/c it guarantees them at least a 5-year dynasty on top of the Pats. But if the Twins really are willing to part with Santana for the pitifully low return of Crisp, Lester, Lowrie, and a 4th bogus player, that is so far beyond absurd it makes Cone for Hearn look like an even pick 'em. I can't even begin to describe how irate I will be if the Sox can land Santana and give up so little in return.

Coco Crisp, while a great CF defensively, offensively STINKS. Lester, while a good prospect, is hardly their top pitching prospect (Buchholz, Papelbon, and recently-traded Gabbard are all higher). And I've never even heard of Lowrie. If Sox can get Santana without having to give up at least one of Buchholz and Ellsbury it is beyond shameful. It would be like the Mets offering a package of Shawn Green, Mike Carp, and Heilman to get Santana. I am so bothered by this report, I can only hope it's a bogus rumor someone floated, maybe by the Twins so the Yankees would up their ante.

2 comments:

SheaHeyKid said...

To add further insult to injury, if this trade is true (Milledge to Nats for Church and Schneider) I may be done with the Mets altogether. Why would Omar pick those players up; just b/c he saw them while he was GM of Montreal? I truly don't get this trade if it is true. I certainly think milledge's future (both in terms of talent and attitude) are unclear, so if you could trade UP I wouldn't mind having to lose him (for example as part of package for Haren or Santana). But to trade him for players that he will AT LEAST be as good as, and most likely FAR better, is just asinine.

Man, NY sports BLOW these days. Luckily I stopped watching NBA years ago, but not looking forward to this weekend's crap-fest that is the jets-'fins.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3135229

Fredo said...

This Milledge trade is breaking my brain. The logic is totally lost on me, unless, as one story I read had it, Church is going to be moved along for a pitcher, and the target team in question (O's, A's) actually covet Church more than Milledge.

I can't believe that Lasting's stock would have fallen that far, that fast, but it leaves the slightest glimmer of hope that this thing made sense. If Church is starting in RF on opening day, I'll be scratching my head.