Friday, January 02, 2009

Please let someone take this seriously...

Joel Sherman had a few interesting things to say today re: the Metties and BoSox.

He suggests that the Sox want to get a big bat with a good glove and are looking to make a trade. The Sherminator suggests a trade of Beltran for Dice-K and Ellsbury.

Dear God,

PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN!!!

Thank you,

dark commenteer

Other interesting tidbits include Boras and Lowe being pissed that Carlos Silva got more than Lowe is being offered (even though everyone in baseball considers that contract a terrible aberration). Suck it up, Boras--you d-bag!!!

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/st/archives/2009/01/3_up_bosox_hitt.html

7 comments:

Fredo said...

OMG! AYKM?

OK, got the teenager out of my system.

As to the trade idea: yes! yes! yes!

OK, got the Meg Ryan out of my system.

I would love this trade. I would say about zero chance the BoSox would do this.

SheaHeyKid said...

I suggested a very similar idea a year and a half ago, and I still like it. Beltran out, get pitching. Win win.

Fredo said...

Except that Coco Crisp sucks rocks.

Fredo said...

Oh, I get it, you wanted Hunter.

Not a bad idea. Just as this trade isn't a bad idea. Both trades still have the same stumbling block: nobody's gonna take on Beltran's elite contract and merely good performance.

SheaHeyKid said...

Actually I wanted to grab Hunter as a FA so we wouldn't have to give up anything, which would then allow us to trade B-tran. I figured the Sox would give up quite a bit in return for the massive offensive upgrade they would get with B-tran. Sox had a lot of excess at pitcher (both starters and relievers) so we could've gotten some good pitching in return.

Now if we trade B-tran we need to get a CF (and offense) in return, so the trade is not as valuable as it would've been with a Torii Hunter in hand. But, I'd still say trade Beltran if we get good value in return.

And if the cost of Beltran's contract is the only objection from Sox (or other team) and keeping us from getting exactly what we want in return, then the Mets would be silly to not eat some of his contract to get an overall team upgrade. Going into a new stadium in '09, the Mets are dangerously close to making themselves irrelevant with their recent collapses and Philthies upgrades. Mets will need to spend money to get money in return from the fans.

Fredo said...

Eets a pozishun raise. Im a tough man and I'm. Not. Gonna. Be. Pushed. Around.

Don't negotiate with me, buddy. Ain't my payroll.

Fredo said...

That was some grade "A" d-baggery