Thursday, January 08, 2009

I now have a dog in the Jets' head coaching search

Don't expect Rex Ryan to show up for his interview for the JetsNew York Jets ' head coaching vacancy armed with Power Point presentations, flow charts or any other fancy displays.

His sales pitch is simple.

"I know I'm a great football coach, and I know I'm a leader of men," said Ryan, the Ravens defensive coordinator who will interview with the Jets next week. "I think that's probably my edge over other people."

Heh, heh. I see the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I know a certain contributor at this blog that likes to remember the heady days of yore, when Rex's Daddy was throwing punches at his OWN team's offensive coordinator for running the "chuck and duck."

"I'm not blessed with a silver tongue like some of these guys," Ryan said. "What you see is what you get."

Ryan, 46, doesn't need to do much talking. He can just point to what the Ravens' defense has done. It finished second in the NFL (in total defense) this season, and will be on display again on Saturday against Tennessee. No one has rushed for 100 yards against the Ravens in two years.

At the end of the day, everything you need to know about Rex Ryan can be captured in one play: in last week's Ravens win over the Fins, watch Reed's INT TD return. The minute he intercepted the pass, the whole Ravens defense went into "hurt someone" mode. I've never seen a more violent 20 seconds on the football field. I saw no fewer than 3 Dolphins players come within a hair's breath of decapitation on that one play.

1 comment:

Fredo said...

As an afterthought, I'd say this guy's cockiness is just the antidote for dealing with whackjob Jets fans and the NY Media, who can be counted on to call for the coach's head whenever the team doesn't reach the AFC championship game. This guy's just gonna let that crap roll off his back. Or else beat the reporter bloody on live TV, which has its own entertainment value.