Saturday, February 09, 2008

Why I already hate Citi Field

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it will look awesome and will be a huge upgrade in appearance over Shea. But I still have 41,000 reasons (45,000 if you include standing room) to hate Citi Field. Going from 55,000 down to 41-45 K is a HUGE drop in capacity, and will put us squarely in line with mid-market teams. Keep in mind also the Mets averaged 47.5 K this year. One of the things I really liked about Shea was that it could hold a huge number of fans, and as well they could keep ticket prices reasonable. Now, with this smaller stadium artificially driving up demand and prices, fewer people will get to see each game and they'll have to pay a lot more for it.

I don't even necessarily mind higher ticket prices, but at the end of the day this is New York. We're supposed to have the best of the best. Whereas the Yankees are doing that (~55 K in their new stadium, and inclusion of over-the-top amenities), the Mets are not.

This stadium is too small for NY, and a disservice to loyal Mets fans.

No comments: