Sunday, February 15, 2009

Odds and ends (or at least more odds...)

Apparently JMan wants to shake things up a bit and has a bold new idea--bat Jose Reyes in the 3-hole. Castillo would move to the leadoff spot and Beltran would jump to 2nd in the lineup. Then Wright, Delgado, Church, Murpy/Tatis, and Schneider would round out the lineup.

It's an interesting idea and the thought is that Jose's extra-base power and speed wuold be able to drive in a lot of runs and keep pressure on the pitchers for Wright, etc.

It's bold and I kida like it, except for the fact that it means Castillo is playing...although he's supposed to be in great shape and healthy (keep your fingers crossed).

And from the WTF Files (thanks to MLBTR):

Here's something I can't believe I'm typing... can Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd make a Major League comeback at age 49? Oil Can hasn't pitched since 1991, but claims his velocity is back up in the low 90s, and his curveball is back to form. He's always dreamt of carrying on Satchel Paige's legend and pitching into his 60s. Boyd's quote:
""I have nothing to lose, and all a major league team has to lose is 15 minutes," said Boyd. "Give me 15 minutes and I'll show I can still pitch. That's all I want."

Boyd threw at the Red Sox fantasy camp, and former catcher Mike Stanley said that Oil Can's stuff is the same as it was 18 years ago, and his passion hasn't died down one bit.

Certainly an interesting story, but can he live up to his word?


Here's the real kicker about this--it means Oil Can was only 27 when he pitched against the Mets in the '86 series?!? I thought that dude was pushing 40 back then!

He's gotta look like Otis Nixon now...

5 comments:

Fredo said...

I like dropping Reyes in the order. I think he could drive in a ton of runs in the 2 or 3 spot.

Beltran's average is too low for a 2 hitter, but I know he feels "comfortable" in the two hole. And Jerry's all about making his playas feel comfortable.

I'd rather see Murph in the two hole, myself.

Fredo said...

Castillo
Murphy
Reyes
Wright
Delgado
Beltran
Church
Schneider

dark commenteer said...

Personally, I'd go with:

Castillo
Church
Reyes
Wright
Beltran
Delgado
Murphy
Schnieder

SheaHeyKid said...

Dropping reyes to get more RBIs is a good idea we've kicked around before. He gets a ton considering our 7-8-9 guys are never on base.

Main problem is of course everyone's complaint about castillo being anywhere in the lineup, especially leadoff.

My preferred order:

Castillo*
Reyes
Beltran
Wright
Delgado
Church
Murphy**
Schneider

*at least until we trade for someone better

**once he's played a few months and is more comfortable, move him up in order. Especially since delgado or church will probably be sucking.

Fredo said...

It's spring so I shouldn't get too negative. Let's face at least one fact: as SHK pointed out, we've kicked around dropping jose in the lineup before. It makes so much sense I figured it would never happen. So I'll give the Gangsta some credit, it's a risky move that takes some guts, and he's apparently open to making it.